Monday, October 15, 2007

I finished!

I went to Ironcross this year with one goal: to finish.

Being an Ironcross virgin I had no idea what to expect except for the horror stories that my team mates told. I knew it was going to be difficult. I knew it was going to involve a lot of climbing. I knew it would a long time to complete. I knew it would mean carrying my bike while clinging to rocks and roots. But you really don't know until you do it what is BS and what has been drastically exaggerated. Well, as I sit here now I can say that it was difficult; there was a lot of climbing, it took me a long time and there actually was a part where, with my bike on my back, I clawed my way up a steep and rocky hill making sure I had my footing before taking another step so that I didn't tumble back down to the bottom!

The hardest part for me was not knowing the course; not knowing what was coming up or where I was at any given point in time. I probably could have pushed harder but I kept thinking a BIG climb was coming even though I already passed it. JB recon'd the course a couple of times leading up to the race and next year I'd like to join him at least once so that I know where I am and what is up ahead.

I don't have any cool stories like Liz or Dinsey. My race was pretty uneventful. I just pedaled, drank a lot of water (too much) and ate every chance I got so that I didn't bonk. It turns out I probably spent too much time eating and drinking because I had to stop and pee too many times.

When it was all said and done I finished in 5:15 which I think is pretty respectable for my first time and considering my longest ride leading up to the race was only 60 miles. I haven't been out to the mountains in years and I haven't been putting in too many miles so I'll take 5:15 for now.

Thanks to Kevin and Dinsey for keeping me motivated with everything else I have going on and to all my teammates (Bill, Tim, Laura, JB, Dinsey, Liz, Carol, Art, Mike, Mark, Steve-O, Kev, Mike and Sally) for encouraging me through out the day. That crew actually makes racing and suffering fun!

And yes, I'm definitely going back next year!

7 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You more than finished. You raced well. I'm running scared next year.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

I'm very proud of ya lil dupree!!!
Next year, less eating, drinking, and peeing and you're easily looking at sub five hrs!

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Marco said...

I ate and drank like I was at an Old Country Buffet! Now I know what to expect and can plan accordingly.

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Jennifer Shockley said...

Great job on your 1st Ironcross. Now you have a time to beat for next year :P

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Liz Schleeper said...

That was a great finish, esp considering all your training has been done in flats. It was nice having you around this year, and I hope you can make it to the restaurant next year. Of course you will have to bring Tripp and Dinsmore so we can all be entertained!

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger JB said...

Amazing time for a first timer!!!

We might have to shift the pe-race meal to Gettysburg next year.

Looks like they got some secret special sauce in that pasta!

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Marco's chicken was kickin'- I shouldn't have passed on the cheese sticks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home